AIARE Level 2 Avalanche Course
Pre-Scheduled Course Dates:
January 17 – 20, 2013 (8am-5pm) CLOSED
Colorado backcountry skiing and snowboarding leaders and aspiring enthusiasts have the opportunity to expand their knowledge of avalanche conditions and enhance their decision making skills through the AIARE Level 2 course. The Level 2 course builds on the AIARE Level 1 course by providing an advanced understanding of snowpack, snow stability and decision making in avalanche terrain.
The 4 day, 40 hour AIARE course curriculum focuses on an advanced understanding of:
- Reinforcement of Level 1 fundamentals
- Snowpack and snow metamorphosis
- Crust faceting on snow surface
- Formation of snow layers over time
- Theory and observation of skier-triggered slides
- Forecasting, avalanche observation and recording guidelines per U.S. and International guidelines
- Following classroom sessions, we will travel by backcountry ski or split board to apply learned skills in a mountain environment.
These sessions will focus on:
- Analysis of snow stability
- Route selection and terrain analysis
- Slope tests
- Reinforcement of level 1 probe and shovel techniques, as well as rescue techniques for single and multiple burials.
For more avalanche education options (private and open enrollment), see our AAA Avalanche education courses.
$475 per person.
Course details to follow.
Participants should be prepared to travel in backcountry terrain (by ski or split board) in potentially inclement weather and mountainous conditions at altitude, and must have previously completed a level 1 avalanche education course.
Included in course:
AIARE certified course instructor, course manual, avalanche field book, and certificate of completion.
Course Location (Avon Municipal Building):
For directions, please visit how to find us
Pricing & payment:
Price for the course is $475 per person.
Some personal gear provided by participant, see our gear list page for details. For clarification use our contact us page or call (970) 949-9111.
View our gear list page.